In just about a month, give or take, I finished my afghan. The body was done last Wednesday, and the edging took three days, once I figured out what to do. Very happy with how it turned out, and how lovely it looks on the sofa!
And it’s snuggly warm, and goes well with the sleepy sofas… I fell asleep last night before I could read mail and blog about being done!
Because it’s hard not to find flaws with our work, even work that we’re very please with, I have a few with the afghan. Looking at the full blanket on a table, I see that I probably should have blocked it before starting the border. It’s not completely flat in the picture, but you can see the dip. It’s not too bad, but it pulls in a little, just off square. A little shaping is all it needs, and I could probably still do that.
I think it took three days to weave in all the ends. I wish there was an easier way to do that. I suppose I could have tried to work the spare colors up the side, like I did with one of my friend’s baskets. The baskets that I gave my friend for Christmas, that I haven’t blogged about yet. I promise to write that up soon!
Then I needed to flatten out the ripply edge. I worked up a test piece to try out a few things, and the easiest one worked – double, half-double, single crochet with a slip stitch, repeat.
For the border, I ended up picking something simple, but interesting. Once the white foundation was done, and then one round of light brown in half-double crochet, I did a chain with single crochet motif in white, then double crochet in each stitch/space in green. Second time around was white with the dark brown on top. I finished with a final round of half-double crochet in brown to make a solid edge.
I’m really quite pleased with it. I may have mentioned already.
While I’ve been finishing up the afghan, I had an anniversary:
I’ve been on WordPress for four years now! I can’t believe it’s been that long since I migrated my blog from Yahoo!360. Although I started blogging over there back in November of 2005, I knew I had to move when the site started getting funky, eating posts and basically being unreliable. After a bit of research (thanks Stu!), I moved here. I’ve never had any of those problems here, thankfully!