What to muse about today?

February 17, 2011

on February 17, 2011
Clear apple juice from concentrate in a bottle.

Image via Wikipedia

Today was a fun day.  Started off well enough, baby slept through the night.  That is good enough reason to celebrate.  I head out to my midwife appointment to see if the baby turned.  Good news, she has.  she’s head down, with feet towards my left.  I thought she may have moved, as I started feeling her kicks and punches in new areas than before.  It took a minute to be sure, she almost wheeled in the portable ultrasound machine, because I was contracting every time she tried to feel the baby’s position.

Then things turned less good.  In telling the midwife my newest symptoms (the ones I was bitching about last night), she decided that an NST (nonstress test) would be a good idea.  So, we hook me up to the two sensors.  As I hadn’t had any breakfast, they gave me some juice (apple, ick!) to help motivate the baby.  I hate apple juice.  So, after about 10 minutes or so, they come in and check the records.  The baby’s been running a low base line, and I’ve been contracting more frequently than they like.  She does a quick check on my cervix, and said that she wasn’t concerned.  About any of it, but they wanted to monitor me (and the baby) further, that she was going to have me go to Labor & Delivery.

Wonderful.  I called Stu and told him how the appointment went, and where I was going.  Told him that no one was concerned, they just wanted to monitor me a bit more.  I’d call once I knew what was up, if there was anything up.

So, off I went.  I’ve never driven myself to the hospital before.  I also wasn’t sure where I was going, once I eventually got there (took two wrong turns).  Everyone in the hospital was super nice though.  Finally, I walk into L&D Triage, only to see Joy, my labor nurse from two years ago with Teagan.  LOL!  We joke as I get hooked up to their machine.  She said that I needed to drink some juice to fire up the baby, I asked if I could have anything but apple juice.  Joy brings some joy in the form of cranberry juice.

So, sitting in the triage room, hooked up to the NST machine, a heart machine (mine was racing, baby’s was a bit slow, but not scary-slow).  It turns out that this baby is just super-chill.  She rocks and rolls, but with a lower heart rate.  Not lower than the minimum baseline, but right on it.  I don’t think she was still most of the 2 hours of monitoring.

The contractions were more worrisome.  I knew I was having some of them, but not as many as I actually was.  When I got there, contractions were every 2-6 minutes apart, and strong.  Not so much that I needed to breathe through them, as I told the midwife.  First they had someone come to measure my cervix.  Fun.  Joy helped me take off my pants as I wasn’t supposed to stand up at the time.  Cervix is long and closed.  Yay!  The tech took a peek, but doesn’t think the previa has resolved.  (Sob!)

As there was no progression, they could give me something to stop the contractions.  They were going to give me a Terbutaline shot, but my heart was a bit racy, so, instead of another shot (yay!) they decided to do three rounds of Procardia to see if that would work.  I guess it really was premature labor, although there wasn’t any progression.  It was more than just Braxton Hicks, or false labor, or else they wouldn’t have been as interested in stopping them.

So, around 1:30 they give me the first pill.  I asked Joy if there was anything at all to eat.  I hadn’t had anything all day except for some cranberry juice, apple juice and water.  She found me some graham crackers (eh) and peanut butter and a packet of jelly.  It was the best peanut butter I’ve ever had.

Thirty minutes later, they come back to take my blood pressure and give me the second pill.  Checking the NST record, I’m still contracting every 2-6 minutes, but I think they said the peaks were lower.  I beg to be allowed up to go to the bathroom.  I snag my laptop to see if I can get on-line, my iPod battery is just about dead.  I get my second pill and wait, all hooked up again.

Thirty minutes later, same routine, blood pressure, bathroom break, read the record, hook back up.  Turns out that the contractions are slowing down.  I’m now at every 5-7 minutes.  Yay.  With bouts of irritable uterus in between.  Well, that’s not new, I had that before with Teagan.  However, I’m now dying of thirst and have a headache. 

After the third dose, contractions slowed down to about every 10 minutes, still with the cranky uterus.  Good enough for them to release me.  Pam, the midwife in triage, said that I would need to take a pill every day, and monitor the contractions.  That the longer the baby is inside the better.  Yeah, I knew that.  So, goal is 36 weeks, when most premies can leave with the mother.  Pam didn’t seem overly concerned about my being able to make it that long.

So, the trip to L&D ran about 4 hours total.  I was exhausted when I got home, though booted up the laptop and checked work mail.  Called my boss.  IM’ed Stu.

I’ll now be treated to weekly midwife/doctor visits now, and each visit will probably entail an NST along with a cervix check.  I might luck out and not have cervix checks, one can only hope.  I’m also hoping that I don’t get too many headaches from the Procardia.  It would be nice to not have another “complication.”


4 responses to “February 17, 2011

  1. Becky says:

    You poor thing! Here’s hoping that you make it to at least 36 weeks. Take it easy.

    • lisasff says:


      Thinking ahead, it would be interesting to have a St. Patty’s day baby :) Funny thing, my coworker’s wife was due two weeks before me. She went a month early, and now they have a lovely St. Valentine’s baby boy.

  2. lisasff says:

    Cheryl commented on your post.

    Cheryl wrote: “Holy crap, Lisa!! I mean, holy crap!!! I’ve been stalking vaguely and know you were having trouble but …. Dudette! I’m off for a few more days – can I do anything? Even drive to your place and give you a hug? ”


    Thanks hun! Things are going well so far today… Although I’ve decided I don’t like the Procardia, and I’ll mention it Monday at my next appointment.

  3. lisasff says:

    Lori commented on your post.

    Lori wrote: “Wow.Your first sentence says it all. Wishing you the best as each day or hour passes. Maybe you had the headache from lack of meals? I guess wacky things like laying on the floor actually do help. Keep it up, chica.”


    It was fun. Well, ok, maybe not. Thanks!! It could have been due to lack of food. I ended up wolfing down almost a whole can of pringles (yay, so good for me!) while waiting for the prescription to be filled.

    It does seem that wacky “exercises” do help :) I don’t need to do them any more, as the baby is head down, but if she flips again, we’ll do something…

Please Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: