Image by DoNotLick via Flickr
This baby is so grounded! She’s not even here yet, and she’s in trouble! The ultrasound showed that she’s turned, she’s breech again. At least this time she’s a frank breech – butt down, head up, feet by her head – and not footling. One good thing.
Today’s appointment with the High-Risk people was a mixed bag, though mostly disappointing. Doctor visit along with an ultrasound to check growth and placenta position. First thing we saw in the scan was that she’s butt down again. The tech was very impressed with how flexible this little girl is. I almost asked for a picture of her spine – it looked like it was almost bent in half. OUCH!
No pictures today though, as she was facing my back… oh well.
Some good news, her growth has slowed down a bit, which is nice. Now, she’s measuring in the 80th percentile, not 93rd. Belly, leg, arm length are almost normal, it’s her big noggin that’s pushing up the percentile. Nice. This is totally Stu’s fault. LOL! Teagan’s head circumference was in the 60th percentile when she was born. I do vaguely remember the ultrasound techs saying something about her having a big head before she was born.
Placenta has moved a little bit, it seems. The expert doctor asked the resident if she would consider it “marginal” or “low-lying.” They ended up deciding it was still “marginal.” I’ve progressed from partial to marginal! According to the resident, and the doctor I saw after the scan, if it was going to resolve, it most likely would have by now. Although there is still a chance. It could still happen. They asked if I wanted to schedule a section now or come back for a last scan. Ever the optimist, I decided to come back for one more scan. Next appointment is March 21st. We’ll see what happens then.
The peek at my cervix that the midwives requested showed that it was about 5cm long. Longer than they expected it to be, at 32 weeks. LOL. So, those contractions that are getting a bit more annoying aren’t progressing. Good thing, it’s still too early.
After the scan, the doctor I saw was quite pessimistic. The one good thing, she did recommend that I stop taking the Procardia. Yay! Since I was having an adverse reaction and I’ll be watched closely by the midwives at my practice, she was ok with stopping the medication. It wouldn’t have stopped premature labor anyway, just slow it down. Of course, I’m supposed to call if the contractions get bad, take my breath away, blah blah blah.
We then discussed the placenta. This is where she was the most pessimistic. She said it wasn’t impossible for it to continue to move, to resolve enough for a vaginal birth. She really gave me the impression she didn’t think it would. With that and the baby breech, she’d recommend a section. That there was risk of placental abruption, higher bleeding risk. I asked if the placenta did move a bit more, and the baby stayed frank (or complete) breech would it was possible to avoid a section, or if the placenta didn’t resolve any more but the baby turned, or if it didn’t could we then try to turn the baby. She was very against doing an External Version. With Lovenox/Heparin, they don’t like doing them, but it would be up to my normal practice. Even if the placenta resolved. It also would be up to the normal practice to decide to deliver if the baby stayed breech. She was a bit less clear about if the placenta didn’t resolve and the baby turned.
So, a bit of good news and some bad. I’m not too worried about turning the baby. She’s turned before, she was head down Thursday. I think she flipped last night, I did have a bit of roller-coaster feeling.
I totally forgot that the other bit of bad news was that I’m not supposed to pick up more than 20 pounds any more. Teagan weighs over 25 pounds now :( I can carry her, just not pick her up. <sigh>